Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bouguereau

Just so you know, a person really starts to doubt their chosen career in life when they get a paper cut on their nose. On their nose! What was that thing doing near the paper I was filing? For reference….it hurts less than getting a paper cut on your hand.

________
Lately I’ve been contemplating the idea of waiting. I’m bad at it…but I’ve done a lot of it. Apparently I don’t learn things the first time around as well as I should.

In a related note, I’ve been contemplating the idea of beauty as well. Waiting and beauty. Both of which I have found in a painting entitled “Rest in Harvest”.

On Saturday, I found myself with a pounding head cold and a free day. I puttered around, cleaning, doing a few errands, and just feeling out of sorts. Upon driving by an art gallery by my house, I spontaneously decided to stop in. I had been yearning for quite some time to go into the gallery and appreciate the art. I just have never found a chance to.

I stopped in and quite enjoyed the plethora of colours and shapes and delightful eye candy. I was carefully enjoying it all until I saw this picture.

I stopped. Stunned by its simplicity and pure beauty. It moved me. It transported me. It spoke to my soul. I looked at the price. It was reasonable, as it was just a poster.

It is now hanging on my wall across from my bed. I awoke Sunday morning and I stared at her. We were in mirror like positions…staring at each other. I named her Emily. I love her.

I then decided to do some research into the painter. He is my soul mate. Check out these quotes:

"Each day I go to my studio full of joy; in the evening when obliged to stop because of darkness I can scarcely wait for the morning to come...My work is not only a pleasure, it has become a necessity. No matter how many other things I have in my life, if I cannot give myself to my dear painting I am miserable." --William Bouguereau

"One has to seek Beauty and Truth, Sir! As I always say to my pupils, you have to work to the finish. There's only one kind of painting. It is the painting that presents the eye with perfection, the kind of beautiful and impeccable enamel you find in Veronese and Titian." --William Bouguereau, 1895

Check out my William Bouguereau: http://www.goodart.org/artofwb.htm

He does a lot of nude female art….but thankfully…his portrayal of it is pure beauty and honour to the female form….its kinda intriguing really. Another thing I didn’t know is that some of the famous religious art that I have seen for years…well…it’s his. I love his bold colours, simple scenes, and amazing portrayal of beauty and simplicity. There are a few other of his pieces that I would LOVE to own.

So to you William….I salute you. You are my artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment